You sit down to start the day with a clear vision on your most important tasks. But then you check your email. Before you know it, you’ve spent half the day responding to requests and working on other people’s priorities instead of your own. You’re sacrificing your best time and energy in the name of inbox zero. You hate feeling at everyone’s beck and call and can’t stand the way you’re always behind. But what can you do?
There’s another way forward. We know what it’s like to feel trapped by our inboxes. And we’ve developed a four-step strategy for making your inbox work for you. When you implement it, you’ll move from reacting to requests to accomplishing your most important work.
Finally, you can stop being perpetually behind and feel empowered to make real progress towards your goals.
In this episode, you’ll discover—
- Why you should never operate out of your inbox for task management.
- How to stack habits and set aside specific times for checking email.
- The difference between synchronous and asynchronous communication.
- App suggestions that can make your life a lot easier.
- Tips on communicating expectations with team members and clients.
- The value of declaring email bankruptcy—and why it’s not as scary as it sounds.